Identity Theft Information
Victim of Identity Theft . . . What Next?
Step One: Contact the fraud department for the three major credit bureaus to place fraud alerts on your file. Also obtain and review a copy of your credit report to determine any unknown fraud that has occurred.
- Experian 888-397-3742
- TransUnion 800-680-7289
- Equifax 800-525-6285
- Social Security Administration Fraud Hotline 800-269-0271
- Federal Trade Commission 877-FTC-HELP or electronically at www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/
Step Two: Contact the account issuer(s) in question.
- Ask for fraud/security department of the compromised or fraudulent account issuer.
- Notify them by phone and in writing.
- Close all tampered or fraudulent accounts.
- Ask about secondary cards issued.
Step Three: Contact your local police department.
- Notify the police department in the community where the ID Theft occurred.
- Obtain copies of all police reports made.
Keep a detailed log of all contacts including: location called, name of person you spoke with their title and call back number with extension, and ask each entity what there procedures are and write them down.